Monday 11 May 2009

Jackman's Perm Almost Cost Him Wolverine

From: imdb.com

Hugh Jackman almost missed out on the chance to play Wolverine in the original X-men movie - because he had to audition with a perm.

The Aussie star reveals he tried out for the action man role nine months before filming started - and was initially passed over for Brit Dougray Scott.

And he thinks his hair put the casting director off.

He explains, "I was doing a musical in London at the time, playing Curly in Oklahoma - so I had a perm in my hair.

"So I put the hat on to do the audition and about halfway through, the casting director was like, 'That was great, could you do one without the hat? I can't really see Wolverine wearing a baseball cap.'

"I took it off and I read about two lines and she goes, 'Cut, put the hat on - now!'"

But fortune came Jackman's way when filming on Tom Cruise's Mission: Impossible film overran and Scott was contracted to complete that film first.

Producers couldn't wait and so Jackman re-auditioned - four days after X-Men began shooting in 1999.

Ten years later, the Aussie has played the claw-handed mutant in four movies, including the newly-released X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which debuted at the top of box office charts around the globe this week on its way to an impressive $175 million (£116 million) haul.

No comments: